Dress Code/Uniform Policy
2022-23 MANDATORY Dress Code/School Uniform Policy
School is a place to learn and a place of business. You should come to school dressed appropriately.
The MS53 uniform consists of grade-specific colored polo shirts and full length khaki colored pants.
Grade 6 – White shirt with khaki pants
Grade 7 – Orange shirt with khaki pants
Grade 8 – Navy Blue shirt with khaki pants
● Students are required to dress in the school uniform EVERYDAY. We recommend that every student
have at least four (4) uniforms.
● In the event that we switch to remote learning, students are expected to wear their uniform shirt during
live instruction and have their cameras on to show the appropriate dress code.
● Students must arrive and leave in full uniform every day. Students are not to wear another “outfit”
under their school uniform.
● All students must wear their pants at the waist, with a belt.
● Girls can wear skirts with a knee-length hem.
○ Sneakers, shoes, or boots. All laces must be tied and footwear must be secure on feet.
○ For safety purposes – Students may NOT wear high heeled shoes, sandals, flip flops or other
opened toe or sling back shoes, including mules. NO crocs.
Jewelry and Accessories:
○ For safety purposes and to avoid theft – students should not wear any expensive or flashy jewelry
or designer bags to school.
○ Belts with name plates, initial plates, logos, large or oversized buckles are not permitted in the
school building. They will be confiscated.
● NO HEADGEAR whatsoever is to be worn at any time in the school building; this includes but is not
limited to scarves, hats, bandanas, du-rags, bonnets, large headbands, etc.
**Jackets outerwear must be in lockers**
Uniform colored sweaters, sweatshirts or vests (no logos) may be worn.
M.S. 53 sweatshirts are permitted.
NO hoods are allowed to be worn in the building.
NO GLOVES, SCARVES, BANDANAS OR HATS OF ANY KIND ARE TO BE WORN IN THE BUILDING.
Warm Weather Policy Amendments
In the spring, starting May 1, 2023 students are permitted to wear khaki shorts (not biker shorts) instead of
pants. The shorts must be knee-length or longer. No ripped shorts are allowed.
This policy will be in effect only at the end of the school year. If the knee-length rule is not followed, parents will be called to bring in proper clothing. The rules for grade-associated colored shirts remain all year long.
No company logo larger than two inches are allowed on the shirts. For example, the Nike “swoosh” is acceptable; a company name written across the shirt or outerwear is not acceptable. A design on the back of the shirt is not acceptable.
○ Headgear of any sort is not permitted in the building.
○ Any revealing clothing, including tank tops, miniskirts above the knee, and midriff shirts, are not
permitted in school. In addition, sandals and opened-toed shoes are dangerous and will not be
○ NO beads, chains, bandanas, or gang colors are to be worn by any student.